Dates confirmed for Introduction to Data Storytelling in Durban & Applications close today for Johannesburg Intake!
Exciting news: we can confirm our Durban intake for 9 - 10 October. The dates and locations for Introduction to Data Storytelling short course are:
- Johannesburg - 19 & 20 September
- Cape Town - 3 & 4 October
- Durban 9 & 10 October
Get your applications in now to secure your spot!
Introduction to Data Storytelling: a comprehensive introduction to the fundamentals of data journalism as a method for practicing storytelling with data.
The learning objectives of the course are as follows:
- To equip learners with the core concepts and terminology used in the field of data storytelling so they are able to critically engage in discussions around the role of data in communication.
- To provide insight into the different roles, skills and workflow that make up a data unit.
- To introduce the fundamental stages of processing data required in developing a data driven story.
- To establish a set of principles and guidelines to consider when planning and producing a data driven story through the analysis and critique of data driven stories published across the globe.
- To teach learners how to interview a dataset through a journalistic lens to mine for potential stories.
- Introduction to online resources and existing tools that leverage data to tell a different story about the society we live in.
We are excited to introduce our instructor for the 2 days:
Lailah Ryklief is a digital storyteller at Open Up, and has trained journalists from media houses across the country in the creation of data visualisations through the Data Journalism Academy. She has trained interactive media production students at the University of Cape Town and has worked closely with GetSmarter on the development of online course material and quality-assurance in front-end development, graphic design and digital photography. She has also worked as a freelance front-end developer, print and graphic designer.