OpenUp is looking for a new director who is able to lead a team, align with the organisation’s strategy, diversify revenue streams, and ensure the sustainability of the organisation for the foreseeable future.
Candidates should have at least 10 years proven managerial experience, ideally in a social entrepreneurship context. A background that blends familiarity with government, nonprofit, and for-profit institutions is ideal. A background in technology, product development, or user research is not compulsory but would be advantageous. Experience in growing an organisation, a program area, or a network of partners would serve candidates for this position well. Experience with business development, fundraising, and financial oversight is required.
The new Director will report to a five-member Board of Directors, lead a team of ±20 people and steward an annual operating budget of approximately R14 million.
Key Priorities and Responsibilities
- Develop and implement OpenUp’s strategic vision and strategy in partnership with the OpenUp team and Board
- Lead and manage the implementation of the organisation's activities
- Oversee organisational development to facilitate the implementation of our work
- Ensure accurate financial management of financial resources (supported by an operations manager and finance)
- Manage OpenUp’s donor relationships, including writing proposals and donor reporting
- Present quarterly progress and updates to the Board
- Build and maintain OpenUp’s relationships with stakeholders in all relevant sectors
- Write blogs, op-eds, and otherwise communicate OpenUp’s successes, failures, and experiments
- Represent OpenUp in various forums, including engaging with government, civil society organisations, the media and funding partners
- Support and manage the OpenUp team within an organisational culture that is just, fair and considerate
- Manage the performance of the team, including recruitment where needed
Culture and team
- Build a shared understanding of OpenUp’s strategy and clarity around roles and specific contributions to achieving goals
- Provide effective internal leadership and coaching
- Define how decisions are made and the structure for performance management and professional development
- Safeguard the culture and values of the organisation, and ensure that the organisation, its leaders, and its team continue to act from a place of authenticity and integrity, as they strive to live the organisational values in day-to-day interactions with each other and with partners
- Vision: drive excitement about growing the impact of the organisation (and help defining that impact)
- Plan: shape, drive, and enable growth while developing a structured strategy to scale that will position OpenUp to achieve the objectives set out in the organisation’s Monitoring, Evaluation, Research and Learning Framework
- Business Model: evolve OpenUp’s business model to grow resources that support mission and innovation of services while ensuring a healthy balance sheet
- Establish New Partnerships: proactively identify, evaluate and act on critical strategic opportunities to build and establish new partnerships relevant to the mission of OpenUp
- Grow Existing Partnerships: support the team in building multi-year revenue opportunities
- Secure Non-Project Specific Funding: Work closely with the Board to seek opportunities for collaborations, grants and investments that would allow OpenUp to invest in operationalising reach and impact
- Promote Awareness: serve as a key spokesperson representing the organisation with credibility and enthusiasm; leverage OpenUp’s history and strong reputation as a trusted partner by clearly communicating its vision and value proposition to diverse stakeholder audiences
- Invest in organisational infrastructure that supports growth and scale, such as new financial and HR management systems where relevant
- Operationalise repeatable processes and proven techniques across issue areas and geographies
- Institutionalise cross-organisational learning and expertise sharing across networks and issue areas
- Ensure that existing projects are well managed, resourced, supported, and effectively communicated/connected to the broader organisation and its goals
- Strengthen systems for active stewardship of projects as they evolve
- Support a structured, organisation-wide measurement and evaluation model to capture learnings for use in refining offerings and supporting partnership development
OpenUp is committed to building a diverse staff and strongly encourages historically disadvantaged candidates to apply.
Candidates must meet the following requirements:
- A Bachelor’s degree with at least 10 years work experience - preferably in start-ups and/or social entrepreneurships. Exceptional candidates without a degree will be considered;
- Prior experience in a directorship or managerial position;
- Show demonstrable leadership ability and experience;
- Experience in financial management and budgetary oversight of an organisation;
- Experience in leading inter-disciplinary programmes and human resource management;
- Excellent research and writing skills;
- Proven experience in business development, fundraising and donor/funder report writing; and
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, analytical, and organisational skills.
To be considered
Please submit your resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
Applicants applying by 30 April 2021 will be given priority consideration, with the position open until filled.